Courses & Events
This course is brought to you by the CoSector Digital Preservation team, providers of the original Digital Preservation Training Programme (DPTP) since 2005. We have expanded elements from our modules on File Formats to create this detailed and focussed all-new course.
Topic Areas Covered
- The context of file format identification in the digital preservation chain.
- Simple identifications, including demos of the Siegfried tool; how identification works, with an introduction to magic numbers; how to act on the results;
- Characterisation: an introduction to FITS, JHOVE, and XML. Caveats about characterisation and why characterisation is helpful.
- Validation: demos of VeraPDF, what it tells us, caveats about validation. An introduction to flavours of the PDF/A format.
- Improving the results: top tips for using the outputs of this course.
- Conclusion: increasing our confidence about formats; pros and cons of the tools.
Start time: 09:00
End time: 17:00